“Windows was Unable to Complete the Formatting” – Almost all the Windows users can face this error while formatting the disks on their Windows computers. Microsoft Windows is the top best operating system that most of the people are using all over the world. Daily a huge number of users are installing the latest versions of Windows OS on their devices. Due to many advanced features, simple interface, user-friendly, and other factors, Windows places in the top position. But for any software, it includes some or other errors, and the users of Windows OS also encounter various while using the computer. The errors might be related to the latest updates, registry issues, pre-installed software issues, etc. At the same time, the users also face issues while formatting the disks on their Windows computer. Here, we are providing simple methods to fix the “Windows was Unable to Complete the Format” error.
The users store a lot of data, files, images, videos, and other information on to their PC. If the hard disk capacity is large, then you can store a huge number of files. But if your PC configured with low system resources, then the hard-disk will show disk full messages very quickly. By storing all the unwanted files like temporary files, Windows registry, junk data, and others, the hard disk will automatically show these types of messages. At this time, the user has to perform the cleaning process to remove all the junk files from their Windows PC. They can simply format the disks in order to empty the disks and free up the memory space. But, sometimes the Windows users are unable to format the disk due to some internal errors.
The main reasons for the occurrence of this Windows Unable to Complete the Formatting error are:
- The virus that stops you to format the disks on your PC.
- The system settings are in such a way that, the write protection for your hard drive is in the ON state in order to avoid the user to format the disks.
- At the same time, the admin will not give you permission to format the disks.
- Even though you want to format the disks by removing the error, then make use of the below methods.
Simple Methods to Fix Windows was Unable to Complete the Formatting Error:
Method 1: Using Diskpart
With the help of DISKPART utility, the user can remove all the unwanted files and perform the format of their disks. With this DISKPART, the user can easily fix the formatting error when the Windows users are unable to complete it. For that,
- Go to Start -> Type Command Prompt -> Choose CMD and Run as Administrator.
- After that, type diskpart and press Enter.
- In order to list out all the volumes on your computer, type “list disk” command and press Enter. By this, you can see all the volumes on your computer along with the volume numbers.
- If you want to select the disk which you want to perform the formatting, then type “select disk disk_number (like 0/1/2…)”. With this command, you can select a particular disk on your PC.
- Type “Clean” command in order to remove all the files from this volume. At the same time, you can create the partition by using the “Create Partition Primary” command
- After that, select the partition to format, and for that, type “select partition partition_number”. By this, you have selected the partition.
- In case, if you type “active” command, then the partition is marked as active, that is, ready for the format.
- Lastly, type “format fs=fat32” in order to format the drive on your Windows computer.
- Therefore, by using the above commands, the user can successfully finish the formatting of the drives on the Windows device.
Method 2: Disk Management
The second best option for formatting the Windows drives to fix unable to complete the format error is using the disk management utility. This pre-installed Windows utility will solve almost all the disk-related issues.
- Go to Start -> Type disk management & Press Enter.
- Select the partition that you want to format -> Right-click and choose the Format option.
- After that, a prompt was displayed on your desktop which asks you to confirm the formatting of the partition or not. After clicking the OK button, the formatting process starts on your PC.
- By this, you can overcome Windows was unable to complete the formatting error on your PC.
Method 3: Modifying Write Protection
When the write protection is ON for your Windows drives, you cannot format the disks. To overcome this issue, you need to modify the settings and make the write protection into OFF. For that, you need to execute the below steps
- Press Windows + R -> Type regedit & press Enter.
- After that, it opens the Registry Editor, navigate the below path,
- After that, you have to create REG_DWORD entry which has to be named as WriteProtect. For that,
Right-click in the right-side panel -> New -> Choose DWORD (32bit) Value -> Name it as WriteProtect.
Next, right-click on the WriteProtect -> Click on the Modify -> Under the Edit dialog box, enter the value data as 0 -> Press the OK button.
- Finally, reboot your computer and try again to format the disks on your computer.
Therefore, I can say that the computer gets crashed or shows poor performance or processor speed decreases when the hard disk is full. Even it takes a huge amount of time to complete a simple process when your PC memory is full. That’s why you need to format the disks regularly in order to remove unwanted or junk files. In case, if you face any error on your Windows PC such as unable to complete the disk formatting, then make use of the above-tips to fix the issue. Even you can third-party tools to format the disks quickly and safely.